Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Transmogrifying your demon: Part 4 - Wrath

It's time for another look at the redesigned Glyph of Felguard and eligible weapons. This time we're going back to Northrend.

Has nothing to do with Felguards or weapons, I just like the picture.
Despite first creating my WoW account back in Vanilla, right around when guilds were preparing for Blackwing Lair, I was a very casual player and eventually had to take time away from the game to tend to my new marriage. I didn't really begin playing again until the early days of Wrath of the Lich King, so while I remember seeing Necropoli floating outside Thunder Bluff and Darnassus and fighting off undead spawning at the city gates as part of the Naxx40 release, I am for all intents and purposes a "Wrath Baby". It's for this reason that raids like Naxxramas and Icecrown Citadel evoke a very special sense of nostalgia to me. It was while fighting the drakes of Obsidian Sanctum that I learned the importance of "not standing in stuff", I learned how to position a boss and tank swap in Naxx and how to dot-and-run in Yogg's Brain Room.

Because of all that, it's no surprise that some of my favorite weapon models in the game are all waiting to be ripped from the hands of the Lich King and his minions. Let's take a look at a few that I want to have my Felguard and Wrathguard carrying in Mists of Pandaria. As always, these are just my all-stars and there are dozens of others that I've chosen to leave out for one reason or another. MogIt and AtlasLoot are your friends.

To catch up, check the links below:

Part 1: The Basics
Part 2: Classic WoW
Part 3: Burning Crusade





Edge of Agony - Sorry, Alliance. This one is only available to the Horde as it's a drop from 10M Trial of the Crusader (and I don't find the Alliance version nearly as compelling). I always loved this particular weapon, but I was never playing a class or spec that could benefit from a 2H Agility sword when ToC was relevant. Looking back, I don't want to think about how many of these we disenchanted.

Voldrethar, Dark Blade of Oblivion - If there's one gripe that I have with Ulduar, it's that far too many of the weapon models were reused in too many places (a trait that it shares with ICC), but at the same time I can't deny that the ones they used were still gorgeous. There are 4 different versions of this sword, but this red/black scheme from 25 Yogg is my favorite.

Glorenzelg, High-Blade of the Silver Hand - People trying to build a Shadowmourne are putting together 25M ICC runs pretty regularly on my servers and it will only get easier after we level to 90. However, if you can't find enough people for 25M Lich King, Marrowgar drops a recolored version and might just be easily soloable at 90. Popular (or at least vocal) opinion on this sword doesn't share my fondness.

Claymore of the Prophet - Since I recently transferred to Alliance, I've been annoyed that Edge of Agony is no longer an option for me but this Alliance exclusive makes up for it. It's pretty cheap at 25 Champion Seals if you've unlocked at least one faction at the Argent Tournament. The Horde version is nice, but not as fitting for a demon as something in a delightful Warlock purple. 

Bryntroll, the Bone Arbiter - Only a few weapons have held my attention as well as this one, I even geared an alt and switched specs at a hope of getting one (never did). Head into ICC and kill the 25M version of Lord Marrowgar to claim your own. While it's not particularly demonic and more fitting of a Death Knight, it's definitely impressive. Amazing . . .

Betrayer of Humanity - As I said in my BC post, bigger is definitely better when looking for a felguard weapon. What Betrayer lacks in length, it makes up for in girth. I have never actually seen this one drop, but when it does it will likely earn a permanant place in my weapon selection as that huge, jagged axe head is just plain scary looking. I can't wait to start burying it in Mogu skulls.

Dual-Blade Butcher - Another Horde exclusive, but fortunately Justicebringer, the Alliance equivalent, is also fairly awesome looking. It's a pretty rare weapon that sits at around a 10% drop rate so you may need to spend a few weeks inside 25M Trial of the Crusader before you see one. My guild was the first on the server to recieve one during Wrath and I dont think we ever saw another one again.

Last but certainly not least . . .


Armageddon - The piece de resistance. The granddaddy of all 2H'ers. The largest non-legendary sword in the game, it was only barely beat out by the Warglaives of Azzinoth and Thunderfury for sheer length when I did some comparisons in the WoW Model Viewer a few months back (I was bored). I've been drooling over this weapon since the first time I saw it at the start of Wrath and have been trying to get my hands on one ever since, yet it eludes me. My only complaint is that, while sheathed, it's so long that the tip digs into the ground on almost every single character race and gender unless mounted. However, our Felguards never sheathe their weapons so that's not a problem anymore, is it? Head into Naxxramas and kill the 25M version of the Four Horseman for your (according to Wowhead) 1% chance at this. Good luck. You're going to need it.


Honorable mention:

De-Raged Waraxe - The simplicity of this particular model is its beauty. It's unapologetically utilitarian and just plain awesome. However, it will be unobtainable for anyone who has already completed the Amphitheater of Anguish in Zul'drak (myself included). I hate that, at some point, I picked a random item from that quest and promptly disenchanted it.

Quel'delar - Another beautiful quest reward, but also an obnoxiously expensive one unless you luck into finding a Battered Hilt. The price of entry and giving up a personal transmogrification item puts this one in the "unreasonable" section, but it's still an option.

Black Ice - This one seems to be well recieved for some reason, but like Hailstorm and Netherbane, I don't think I'll ever understand the fascination. In any case, it should be fairly unique if that's what you're going for.


Next time, we'll take a look at some more familiar options as we venture into Cataclysm for weapons that may actually still be upgrades for the people in your group.

No comments:

Post a Comment